The Anglo-file, too

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

A Day in the Life of Michael the Student

Awaken. Eat. Read. Write. Read. Re-write. Read. Eat. Asleepen.

It's not really any more exciting than that, but I'll try to expand on some of that middle stuff about reading and writing.

First, why I'm here (which indirectly is why we're all here): I am completing the residential requirement for a PhD in Theology, specifically focused on New Testament studies. The PhD is a research degree, which means I am essentially reading and writing and reading and re-writing... as noted above.

Second, what I'm researching: I am looking at Paul's use of the phrase "the word of the Lord," especially as found in 1 Thessalonians 4:15. This requires me to explore several general areas: Paul's knowledge of Jesus' teaching as oral traditions which he had received (as the Gospels were not written yet); the nature of early Christian prophecy and Paul's perspective on such prophetic utterances; the nature of the gospel message as Paul preached it and its significance for his theology; and other concepts related to "the word of the Lord."

Third, where I'm at in this: I am at the initial writing stage, where I know generally what I don't know and what I need to know, I know what I need to write and generally how it's going to be written, and I know in general terms the conclusions of my thesis and how I should defend them. So, I continue to read and write, read and re-write... you get the picture. I'll do this until I've put together about 250 pages of legible prose and my supervisor says I'm ready to submit it, after which I'll have my viva, an oral defence of my thesis before an internal examiner (from the University) and an external examiner (from another university). No one yet knows the day or the hour when the end will come... But I will be accountable for every word written, and hopefully my work will be of gold, silver, and precious stones, so I don't have to see it burn as wood, hay, and stubble, being passed but as through fire... (PhD theses seem to bring out the apocalyptic side of students--I've seen this in others as well!)

So what does all this look like on a daily basis? Well, I spend most of my days in the Orchard Learning Resources Centre (pic 1), the south Selly Oak campus library. My main haunt has been the Philosophy and Religion Hall where most of the relevant books are found (pic 2), but I've also spent a good deal of time in the J. Rendel Harris Research and Reading Room (pic 3), which is much quieter and more studious-like.

Occasionally I'll go to Elmfield House (pic 4), the building for the University's Graduate Institute for Theology and Religion. This is where my supervisor's office is and where seminars are held. I presented a paper to the Postgraduate Biblical Studies seminar here a few weeks ago, outlining my research, and had some very encouraging responses.

At least once a week I head up to the main campus north of Selly Oak in Edgbaston (pic 5). The most recognizable feature of this campus is the clock tower (pic 6)--Old Joe or Big Joe, it's called, playing off Big Ben in London and the name of the first Chancellor of the University, Joseph Chamberlain. This tower is visible for miles around. When I'm on the main campus I'll often go to the main library (pic 7) to pick up books that are not available down in Selly Oak. Once a week I have a German class on the main campus in a building which is too ugly to show here (seriously). If I need to connect with someone at Student Services, I head into the Aston Webb Building (pic 8), the original University building which now houses the various administrative offices. This building also houses the Great Hall, where the real end will take place after the judgment by fire, with the graduation ceremony and my passage into post-doctoral bliss...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home